What is AVID?
AVID, Advancement Via Individual Determination, is a systemic instructional system for students in kindergarten all the way through higher education (K-16). The AVID College Readiness System is a school-wide transformational effort focused on leadership, systems, instruction, and culture, and is designed to increase the number of students who enroll and succeed in higher education and in their lives beyond high school. AVID-trained educators teach students academic and social skills to help them develop the habits and behaviors needed to succeed in a rigorous curriculum. The AVID College Readiness System is a catalyst for developing a school culture that closes the expectation and opportunity gaps many students face and prepares all students for success in a global society.
- Research-based, with proven results of student achievement
- A direct support structure for first-generation college-goers
- A catalyst for systemic reform and change
- Develops students as readers and writers
- Teaches specific strategies for critical thinking and higher-level inquiry
- Provides support, so students can meet high expectations
- Influences the belief system, culture and instructional strategies of a campus
- Provides meaningful and motivating professional development